Start the program
THE SCHOOL'S ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Schools must ensure that they are registered (registration form above) for the program by December 1st of each year for the February-March delivery. They must also fill out the order form and return it as soon as they register to ensure that they have the equipment on time.
- Schools can purchase the student workbook for $3,25 per copy or print it directly from the document available on our website (Educational resources). Schools are responsible for the purchase or rental of the incubation equipment.
- Acquiring the aquarium, the cooling unit and the filtration system will cost approximately $1,400. With this incubator, the class will be able to observe the development process from the egg stage to the growth of the fry over a period of nearly five months. The equipment can be reused year after year with proper storage and minimal maintenance. It should also be expected that some filtration components may need to be changed each year for 50 to 60$ a year (foams filters and charcoal).
- The person in charge of the program must assemble the incubator and ensure its maintenance, which is relatively simple to do. Refer to the “Educational Resources” section to see the various available support documents.
- At the end of the school year, the person in charge of the program is responsible for stocking the fry in a designated salmon river with his or her students. Several regional partners of Salmon’s Tale can help you with the stocking stage activity in the river.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE OPPORTUNITIES
The Fédération québécoise pour le saumon atlantique (FQSA) supports schools the best it can and tries to seek grants to help schools every year. For more information, please contact the person in charge.
Several organizations across Quebec are partners of the Salmon’s Tale program, and can help you with various services (animation, special stocking-related activities, etc.) or the rental of the incubator. These opportunities are limited, but do not hesitate to contact the person in charge of the program here at the FQSA.
Salmon's tale program manager
Phone : (418)847-9191 or 1 (888) 847-9191, #109
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org